People thought that a so-called unlimited web hosting service can satisfy all the demands of them and their websites’ development, in fact, this may be premature. After a few months of operation and management, people might find that their web disk quota appears surprisingly small and the resource usage percentage bar approaches 100% almost.
Once it happens, some people will choose upgrade their hosting solutions immediately. However, they need to think about it and analyze the situation before purchasing an upgrade, where does the problem lie in? People can check the following 4 main aspects.
- the databases: with the increasing of the content including text, image, video and etc. and visitors’ comments & feedback, the databases would get bigger in size
- webmail accounts: the webmail accounts may reach the assigned quota
- installed applications and software: people may install too many applications, or the script upgrades get quite heavy
- the websites: maybe people add sub domains, folders and websites excessively
In addition to the 4 major factors, there are many others that will cause disk space inadequacy. Generally, the term “disk space” is considered as an amount of computer storage space on random-access memory devices, including on a floppy, hard drive or USB flash drive. It is measured in large number of bytes commonly.
Some people may have no idea about their usage. Actually, it is very easy for them to check disk space usage. cPanel provides them with clear overview of the disk space that people’s accounts are using. Just login to the cPanel and access Disk Usage, people can see the details of their disk space usage.
Leave the hosting upgrade behind, the several tips in below will give people some suggestions and help them optimize the used disk space within their web hosting accounts.
Get Rid of Useless Files
- test files: if the testing is completed, test files are not in use anymore. There is no need to keep them. We suggest that people can get into the habit of removing the installation and rest files once the test process is finished.
- media files: it is the main factor of disk space consumption. To optimize the hosting disk space, people can upload the music files, videos, downloadable packages or other media files on the third-party websites like YouTube, and use them as external sources.
- log files: log files are quite important, and it helps people monitor their hosting account activities. Even through, there is no need to keep them on the server all the time. If the log files have been checked, people can remove them and set disk space free.
Clean Script Installation Up
People need to make sure to clean WordPress and some other script installations up, since some theme and plugin based files are not used and they take up disk spaces. If people intend to use them in the future, then they can choose to install them later. Removing all the unrelated comments, spam users, broken links, old drafts, post revisions and more will increase database space.
Remove the Doc Files of Installations
No matter people install applications manually or through the pre-configured installer such as Softaculous and Fantastico, it will create a folder that includes reference material and information. In fact, it is unnecessary to the well-being of the script, so, the installation doc files can be removed safely. Just in case, we suggest people keep the README.txt and license.txt files required for the legitimate use of the script.
Remove Installation Backups
The scripts like WordPress, Drupal, phpBB and etc. will leave on-server backup files on their every upgrade. Only if people get lost with the upgrade or they want to reinstall the old version, these backups are useful. If that is not the case, then people can remove the installation backups.
Disable Traffic Scripts
Traffic analysis tools like Webalizer and Awstats are quite great in performance, but they might need several megabytes. If people’s disk space quota is limited, they can disable these tools and choose some alternatives such as Mixpanel, Google Analytics and etc.
Delete Old Emails
Actually, emails consume disk space, and it does not contribute to a website’s development and health. People should clear their emails periodically by downloading the old and useful emails that they want to keep, and deleting remainder.
If the business is associated with large amounts of emails, people can consider moving their email accounts elsewhere. Email forwarder is regarded as one of the best ways to minimize the load on their hosting accounts.
Remove Flash from HTML Pages
Flash is heavy for the disk space and server. If people want to save more disk space, they could remove flash use from the HTML pages. As a preferable alternative, HTML 5 video tag is more effective and lightweight.
Minimize CSS Files
By making full use of external stylesheets, people can increase their website efficiency. As the result, the pages can load faster, and people can also save disk space. In order to minimize CSS files, one of the feasible ways is to remove non-essential spaces and indentations.