Why Move Joomla to WordPress
Built on a model-view-controller web application framework, Joomla is a good but sophisticated content management system allowing users to publish web content. Joomla is quite flexible and comes with plenty of additional software options. In fact, the flexibility of Joomla comes at the cost of the usability.
However, especially for blog owners who are not so tech savvy, it would be better to choose or move to other easier platforms. This time, WordPress is considered as the most popular and easiest to use content management system that we highly recommend.
- Almost all hosting companies provide 1-click WordPress installation and feature-rich solutions. Users can get started and create successful WordPress website simply.
- WordPress is an open-source application and it has a growing community which supports actively. With it, users are able to use the tons of free and highly intuitive to use themes and plugins to make their WordPress websites more powerful.
Compared to Joomla, WordPress is much more easy-to-use. If people just start out, we suggest them to go with WordPress directly. While if they are hosted on Joomla, then they need to move Joomla from WordPress, and the process is not difficult as they may think.
How to Move Joomla to WordPress
The following steps will help Joomla users move from Joomla to WordPress.
First things’ first, people need to choose a reliable hosting provider for their WordPress website. In addition to selecting a new provider, they can choose to keep their new WordPress website at the same place where they current Joomla site is hosted.
If people go that way, they might have to create a new directory and install WordPress in that directory. A litter later, they can change the domain settings and point to the new directory. Besides, people can setup the custom URL for their WordPress website at this point.
People can take advantages of some useful plugins. Firstly, people need to install WordPress and the whole installation process is easy and intuitive. Secondly, install FG Joomla to WordPress plugin and do not forget to activate it.
FG Joomla to WordPress has free and premium versions. Compared to the free version, its premium version comes with some SEO features and it allows users to use add-ons. FG Joomla to WordPress will help migrate posts, tags, section images, categories from Joomla to WordPress. Currently, this plugin has compatibility with multi-site installations, and it works with Joomla 1.5 to 3.4 and WordPress 4.3 version.
Now, we back to the FG Joomla to WordPress using step. After activating the plugin, people can go to Tools → Import, and they will see a list of systems for importing. Then people choose Joomla (FG) option and fill in the details of their Joomla website.
There are some precautions and considerations:
- if people want to import media files, they need to take care to click on Force Media Import option
- if the hosting provider has already disabled the allow URL option in php.ini, the import process might not go through
- ifprocess might not go through. ady disabled the allow URL option in php.ini, the import process might not go through. heck unde people receive a message: “Fatal error: Allowed memory size of **** bytes exhausted”. They can increate PHP memory to fix this problem
In order to fill in the details of database, people need to head to the Admin Panel of their Joomla website, and then check under Global Configuration → Server tab. Note that people have to enter the correct login credentials, otherwise it would cause database connection errors. People are allowed to test the database connection before making the changes take effect.
We come to the last step. People can click on Import content from Joomla to WordPress. Based on the amount of data to be imported, the process will take some time to be finished. Once it is complete, people can move to the Modify Internal Links button at the bottom of the Joomla importer page and click on it.
When everything is done, people enable to deactivate this plugin.