SEO stands for search engine optimization. This is the way of getting traffic to a website from the natural, free, and organic search results on search engines. Google, Yahoo, Bing all these main search engines are used on the World Wide Web. When users search web pages, photos, videos, etc on these major search engines, these search engines show a list of results by ranking them based on what could be the most relevant to the users. In other words it can be said that the meaning of SEO is finding ways to increase the view of your website to web page viewers. It usually means getting traffic to your website.
Therefore if you are planning to run your business online, the first thing you have to do is ranking your website at the search engines results. SEO will help you to rank your website in the search engines when users need your site.
To rank a website to the users, search engines first check its relevancy and according to this they rank the site. So the question is how the relevancy is determined?
What search engines look in sites?
The things search engines notice in websites is their content, authority, performance, and user experience.
- Content- The content must be unique, not copied from other sites. Search engines also check the text on the page, description, and titles.
- Authority- Does your website contain good content to link or is your website used by other authoritative sites as a reference link.
- Performance- The speed of your site and does the site work properly.
- User experience- The user-friendliness of the site, is the website safe and also the bounce rate.
What search engines do not like?
Search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo notice everything in a site. So if you are trying to rank your website playing some tricks, then you will not be able to run your site in the long run because once search engines find your tricks, they will block your site. The things that search engines do not like are:
- Duplicate content- Duplicate content which is copied from other sites.
- Keyword stuffing- Overuse of keywords in content.
- Poor user experience- Too much ads, and tough navigation of a site increase the bounce rate.
Be reliable with domain name
Domain name is very important for your website. It’s better to use sub-directory root domains than sub-domains. Other things with domain names are:
- Consistent domains- If you type in www.yoursite.com, then if you type just yoursite.com but ‘www’ does not redirect to www.yoursite.com, that means there are two different sites that search engines are seeing. It is not good for overall SEO.
- Keywords in URL- Having keywords in URL mean you are trying to rank in your domain and it is helpful for overall SEO.
- Old domains- Old domains are more effective than new ones. But before buying an old domain make sure that the previous owner has not done anything shady which caused the domain to get penalized.
Besides unique content, keywords, and easy to navigate site, you should extend your site to other off-site platforms. That means you should take into consideration about the multi-channel optimization. The multi-channel platforms are:
- Offline such as television and radio ads
These platforms will help you in branding your website.
SEO is the primary thing to rank your site in search engines results but always follow the best practices.